So, most of you know what a pain to poop potty train Ethan was - it took forever and well even that is putting it mildly. We got so that we didn't talk about it much and just hoped for the best. I would often remind myself that he would not go off to college looking for a pull up to poop in. That would get me through about a minute or two and then I would go back to worrying about something in reality I had no control of. The good part about Ethan though, was that he waited for a night-time pull up and albeit frustrating as hell, it was easy to clean up.
That was when Chris laid down the rule that no animal would be part of our family until all humans in our household were potty trained. Although agreeing with his logic, this saddened me because I was wondering if we would have to wait for Owen to go away to college in order to ever have a pet again. See unlike Ethan, Owen just refused to go on the potty. He didn't care if his underwear was on, he just didn't want to have to go on the potty. Already being through this with Ethan, I had developed some patience in regards to it, but sadly the frustration was still there. I taught him to clean up after himself and refused to deal with the mess that he had made. Sometimes I felt horrible about this but ultimately it was what worked for Ethan, holding him accountable. I mean the kid has been pee potty trained for almost a year and even wakes in the middle of the night to go, so this was pure stubborn will. I knew it would pose a problem though for him moving up to the next class at preschool if he was still having accidents, so with a time limit in mind, I prayed, I hoped and yes I admit, I silently SCREAMED that he would please figure this out...
Well I can now tell you for the past month this has not been an issue. We have been accident free and now Owen is a totally independent potty dude! YAY! He is even trying the whole standing while peeing thing, which is interesting due to aim issues, but at least the poop is now in the potty.
I am not sure what made him suddenly get it, but I certainly know how we celebrated. Once he hit 10 poops on the potty Thomas Live tickets were purchased and he has been telling everyone he sees that we were going to see Thomas. We got to go yesterday and although it wasn't the best show and the plot was definitely weak, nothing could take away the pure joy in his face as he chugged his arms in the air and blew his whistle. Screamed hello at all the engines and was amazed that even Harold made an appearance. Where is my little baby going? I can't believe time is passing so quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yay! I am so glad he has been accident free! Your trials and tribulations sound frantic and frustrating...I am SO not looking forward to that part of being a Mom! LOL. I can't wait to hear about dog "hunting"!
WTG Owen! I know the frustration Katie. I'm experiencing it myself right now with Keenan. Maybe it's a boy thing because training Cayden was a breeze and she trained so early. Owen's doing great and Thomas live tickets are an awesome reward!!
Post a Comment