Saturday, July 28, 2007

Screech Owl and "More"

So "Screech Owl" is Owen's nickname. When he wants something he utilizes this high pitch screech that is sure to get your attention. I wasn't sure people really believed me until recently, now all agree that it is truly an experience. Friends in playgroup were shocked at the decibel level he was able to attain as we are all momentarily deafened when he does this. Poor people at Costco turned to see what could possibly have made that sound and were astounded when they saw this cute little blue eyed boy. I think the military might be calling us soon to see if they too could maybe get in on the action. It truly could be utilized as a form of torture training or something because if you can survive it, you are good to go. It is an ear-splitting and piercing noise you are likely to never forget, mainly because you will be unable to hear like before your contact with my lovely littlest child. This is why I am concerned for our 6 hour flight across the country in September. I have visions of JetBlue deciding it is in their best interest to take an emergency landing and remove us from the plane somewhere in the middle of the great United States.

In order to save us from this fate, we have been working with Owen on signing. He started this process in March and really seemed to care less about the new skill and its ability to talk with us. Well I am happy to say that for some reason, yesterday, while visiting my friend with triplets and her toddler, Owen purposefully used the sign for "More" over and over again to get more food. It was clear as day and truly amazing. He was thrilled to get what he wanted and I was thrilled he was doing it and momentarily relieved from the high pitch sound would usually leave my ears ringing...

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Oh my - my ears ache just reading that. Keenan has an unusually loud screech sound that just puts me on edge hearing so I can't imagine anything worse! LOL